This sandwich is a quick and easy lunch that elevates a normal grilled cheese and has some snuck-in greens. Think gooey cheese, fresh spinach, the elegance of adding an egg and some spice from the Sriracha. I often make this sandwich in between classes because it’s fast to make. If you have 10 minutes and a pan, you can make this sandwich!
Yield: 1 sandwich
2 tablespoons butter
2 slices of your bread of choice (I like a nice sourdough)
1 slice of your favorite cheese (I prefer cheddar or provolone)
A handful of fresh spinach
Sriracha, to taste
1. Melt one tablespoon of butter in a sauté pan over medium heat; vegetable spray is a good alternative.
2. Cook egg over easy. I recommend cooking the yolk a little more thoroughly than usual so that it doesn’t run all over the rest of the sandwich. Set cooked egg aside.
3. Melt another tablespoon of butter in the same pan. Add one piece of bread to begin assembling your sandwich.
4. Add a slice or two of cheese onto your bottom slice of bread and let it melt for about 2 minutes.
5. Add a handful of spinach.
6. Add your egg and Sriracha to taste.
7. Top with the other piece of bread.
8. Flip your sandwich and cook until both sides are golden brown.
By Ally Cefalu, Staff Writer